Friday, July 4, 2008

Old Songs is fun!

Last weekend my mom, Liz and I went to New York for our annual trek to Old Songs. This festival of traditional music, dance and story telling is a 13 year tradition for us. My mom got introduced to Old Songs by Harriet her best friend for 20 years. This is one of the many wonderful things that Harriet introduced to our family. It is a really neat family event with lots to do for everyone.

When Liz was little she loved everything but the music. Her favorite thing was the huge sand pile they set up for the kids. The last few years she was one of the older kids and was the queen of the sand pile. I knew this year would be fun for her because she has been so into all different kinds of music. Some things we did together and sometimes we did our own thing. At one point she was walking around with her phone in one ear, her ipod in the other and walking by people everywhere playing different music. She said the input was crazy.

The only down side was being way short on cash because Liz's dad got laid off so no child support this month. Liz didn't get her paycheck either so she didn't have her own money. It was hard for her to deal with wanting so many things and not be able to have them. On Sunday I had 2 $20 so I gave her one and I kept one. She was planning on gong the day without eating so she could get a henna tattoo. I bought her a piece of pizza because I couldn't stand it. The the henna lady wasn't even there and she just got pissed at me. That sucked.

I heard some great tunes. I went to a blues, funny songs and protest songs workshops. Also a really cool workshop on the history of music. There was a traditional gourd banjo and the sound was totally different. One of the blues guys played a cigar box guitar. I could not believe the sound he got from one string and a box. It was amazing. I heard this same guy a few years ago and fell in love with the steel guitar. I'm hoping for his new CD for Christmas.

No comments: