Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Faith and Religion

Lizzy and I had an interesting talk tonight about faith and religion. It's hard for me to remember sometimes that I don't have to be defensive but just listen to her and hear her. I've been worried by what I see as her very negative and judgmental attitude towards anything Christian lately. Her attitude towards the bible is it is a story book written by people who heard voices in their heads and is an unreliable source to base your life on. While I do not disagree with her on the whole I worry about how vocal she is about it. Most of my concern is because she is joining a group called Young Neighbors in Action through a local Catholic church. My best friend runs the group so she gets Liz. She has no problem with Liz disagreeing or asking questions as long as she is not disrespectful to the other kids. That's where I worry based on some of her most recent ideas. She was able to let me know tonight though that she is cool with people believing whatever they want but she wants to be able to be honest with me about how she feels. OH RIGHT! Light bulb moment. I remember now I'm not raising her to be a nice obedient girl. I'm raising her to be an independent thinker. I almost forgot. So bring it on little heathen child. Do not go gently into that good night. Down with the man! And next time I forget to listen be sure to remind me AGAIN.

No comments: