Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Off to camp

My mom and I took Lizzy up to Vermont Monday afternoon then to Not Back to School Camp (NBTSC) Tuesday. Monday night we stayed at a hotel with a pool and jacuzzi so Lizzy and I got some good bonding time in before the long separation. We've been apart for a week or two before but camp is tough for me because I can't talk to her for the whole week. This year is easier for us both because we both had a better idea what to expect. Packing was much better and the anxiety level was down for the both of us. It still ain't easy though. On the way home I asked my mom how she could have stood to drop me off at college, drive 12 hours back home and know she wouldn't see me for 3 months. She said lots of my dad reminding her that this was the goal. Raising me to be strong enough to want to leave home. I hope I am so brave when my time comes. I have feeling my Lizzy will want to move farther and faster than I ever dreamed of. As hard as it is to let go I couldn't be prouder of how brave and adventurous she is.

2 comments:

Sandra Dodd said...

Kelly, about your bear (yeah, not about this post; sorry):

f you want to send a photo of your bear, I'll put that and a photo of mine on a webpage together. I have a drawing I made of my bear when I was little, too. I'll add that.
(from a comment I left here)

kim said...

Hi Kelly,
Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog a bit ago...sorry I'm just now getting back to reading comments and responding...as you must completely know--life with an unschooling teen is FULL to the brim!

I use to imagine Wes enjoying Not Back to School Camp and I secretly still wish that for him. There's still time as he's just 15 and may some day explore connections with other unschoolers like himself.

Thanks again for stopping by OurHeartCenteredLife...and now I've got some reading to enjoy on your blog!

Happy Autumn!
Kim